Monday, September 19, 2011

40s bag with stories to tell

This pretty linen clutch purse (a recent find) has a big carved shell button on one side.



What's inside fascinates me even more: A mirror, hairpins, a blotting paper, 2 hat repair tickets, a milliner's card, two store cards with furniture and drapery notes jotted on their backs, one flower shop receipt and a pretty extravagant bar tab. The dates are all 1940 and 41.

Roses and cocktails...have you ever just liked a person from the contents of her bag?

8 comments:

Miss Meadows said...

I love finding stuff like that in old bags, pockets, or even books. But I've never found as much as you just did in ONE place! I like thinking about what kind of lives my vintage clothes and accessories had before meeting me, so finding something like that is just amazing! :)

denisebrain said...

I have a small collection of items found in pockets, but this is the most I've found in one place. It's like a small slice of history.

Victoria said...

How wonderful to find all that in one purse. I too love it when I find small trinkets in purses and pockets.

Susan said...

Lovely find! Never found anything in my old bags, but I like it when you can tell a little story about an item like this. Definitely a slice of history!

Ms. L. Griffin said...

Wow! What a piece of history! xx

Seaside Studio vintage jewelry said...

Elegant and beautifully made!
Love it.

Christine H. said...

The contents are just as wonderful as the bag, but together they're a real prize. I have an old Indian beaded drawstring purse that has teeth, claws and little bones in it. Also interesting, but not charming...well, not in the same way anyway.

Gio said...

Wow, what a great find! So beautiful!