Monday, April 1, 2013

Parlez-vous vintage?



I have never been to my favorite city in the world. You might ask how it could possibly be my favorite city if I've never seen it first-hand, and the answer is that I love the idea of Paris.

For me, Paris is art, true beauty, romance, history, an appreciation of fine things, slight melancholy, a balance of social and singular rights and privileges, haunting architecture, charming neighborhoods, the correct perspectives on leisure and cuisine, raising children well, triumphal open spaces, fascinating people, creative city planning, invention, nostalgia and modernism, the center of fashion.

Ah, fashion. When I picture Paris, I must admit I see storybook scenes, and favorite vintage movies. Dresses are twirling, impossibly beautiful people are sipping strong black coffee, hats and eyebrows are cocked just so, a child holds a red balloon, a woman’s dress competes in beauty with an open flower stall.

Mes chers amies fran├žaises, please forgive me for generalizing. My April theme is merely un hommage to my favorite place.

click to view, sound up

3 comments:

Nicole Jenkins said...

Hi Maggie,

Let me assure you that Paris is exactly as you think it is and if you're worried that the reality will not stand up to the idea - then just stick to the beautiful inner city and do not venture to the suburbs.

Most cities are best like that anyway - you will love Paris. I can't believe you haven't been! I've been three times and miss it every day, it's my favourite city too and I have so much further to travel, from Australia.

Carrie said...

Oh, my! How is it that someone who has never been to Paris can capture the magic of it so perfectly?

I went for the first time two years ago--in June, which was pretty nice too!--and your phenomenal April theme makes me want to go back tres bientot!

denisebrain said...

I'll meet you both there!